Sunday, December 29, 2013

The importance of the background: a lesson from Rebel Wilson & Anna Kendrick

"In my home the most important light is not the large chandelier seen by all , its the night light no one sees but lights my way and prevents me from stubbing my toe" - Rick Warren

I love music. I love listening to it especially when I'm driving, and if I'm alone I'm definitely belting along with the tune.
In the last month I have been on the road a lot and a lot of "mash ups" and acapella stuff seems to have been in my ears. I enjoy singing along with tunes from Glee and Pitch Perfect because, for some reason they make everyone in the car feel like they can carry a tune.
This week as I was listening to a mash up sound track I noticed something. I noticed that those songs take a LOT of different talented people to get the popular catchy effect that draws us to all download them and watch the movies. However, without fail, every time I'm in the car alone, with friends or with the kids…every one of us takes over and sings the lyrics of the lead. What happens then is the effects of the song that make it so unique and effective are basically rendered ineffective. Listen...

 

What makes that song so beautiful and unique is the harmonies being sung to support the lead. Yet without even recognizing it, we each took over with the lead when she came in. All of us were in the car singing the lead and the beautiful melodies and harmonies in the back were ignored.

Don't we all do this? We fail to recognize that what makes Gods plans so beautiful is that each of his children plays a different role.
We each are designed to either lead in a particular area or support those that are leading. The support role is NOT a lesser role. The support role is crucial for the beauty of the plan to come to fruition. What if the girls singing the harmonies in the back quit when the lead took over? They didn't. They stayed on track and kept THEIR role moving.

Are you the wife or mom that feels like her role as supporting her husband and children is somewhat smaller? Are you the assistant that feels their absence in the project wouldn't be missed? Are you the college student looking to make a name for yourself in life? The associate pastor who is always behind the scenes? Stop and recognize that each role in Gods kingdom is crucial and needed.
Play the song again and try to only sing the backup melody all the way through. Beautiful right?


"All of you together are Christ's body and each of you is a separate and necessary part of it"
1 Corinthians 12:27



No comments:

Post a Comment