Thursday, June 20, 2013

I just know.


He loved us not because we are lovable, but because He is love. 
CS Lewis


      In my family the kids often ask how I KNOW things about them. When I bring them a snack, "mom how did you know I was hungry?". From the almost teenager, " Wow mom, how did you KNOW I'd love this shirt?"
My answer every time is the same. "Because I'm a mom. Because you grew inside me for 9 months I went through hours of labor and have been mostly responsible for every need you have ever had. I just know."

What's the first bible song most of us learned? Well like most of us mine was Jesus loves me. 
Jesus loves me this I Know 
For the Bible tells me so
Yes Jesus loves me 
Yes Jesus loves me.

Well I want to ask you to recognize the counter part to the reality the song points us to. 

JESUS KNOWS ME THIS I LOVE

A friend said that to me and I wrote it on the blackboard in my kitchen. As I walked by it day after day I tried to marinate in that thought. 
This is not a trite reality. Jesus KNOWS me? Like REALLY knows me? And still loves me more than my human understanding can comprehend? EVEN THOUGH HE REALLY knows me like no one else?

I need to be reminded of BOTH realities. 

We all have a part of us that tries to put our best foot forward in situations. We all have thoughts and doubts we may not feel free to share with others. We all have insecurities we try to hide or cover up or overcompensate for.

Jesus knows me This I love . 
Jesus loves me (anyway) this I Know. 
 
When I'm feeling angry - Jesus knows me, Jesus Loves me. 
When I'm impatient - Jesus knows me, Jesus loves me
When I'm overwhelmed - Jesus knows me, Jesus loves me.
When I've lost all eternal perspective - Jesus knows me, Jesus loves me. 
When I feel entitled - Jesus knows me, Jesus Loves me.
When I'm selfish - Jesus knows me, Jesus loves me. 

Jesus doesn't love us because we have Him FOOLED that we have it all together. Jesus knows us and LOVES us. We don't need to clean up and THEN He will love us. 

Psalm 139 has become a favorite of mine , ill paraphrase it here, but invite you to read it - memorize it even. 

"Oh Lord you have searched me and KNOW me. You know when I sit and rise. You know my THOUGHTS from afar, you discern what I am doing and are familiar with ALL of my ways. "
 
Wow. Jesus knows me. 

Then Romans reminds us that NOTHING can separate us from His love. No amount of wrong doing or 
failure to meet a standard. Nothing.  ( Romans 8 ) 
 
Jesus loves me. 

We can't earn His love. It's done. He loves you because He knows you. He knows you in a way that makes my knowledge of my own children seem foreign. 
What an undeserved reality I need to be reminded of often. 

So when I'm tempted to ask as my children are "Jesus how did you KNOW I needed that?" I can imagine His gentle voice saying " Because Jerushah I knit you together, because I died for you because I know you and my child I love you." 


No comments:

Post a Comment