Sunday, June 30, 2013

And I thought it was about me..


“Prayer is not asking. Prayer is putting oneself in the hands of God, at His disposition, and listening to His voice in the depth of our hearts.”  

Mother Teresa 



I’ve always had an interesting relationship with prayer. I’ve been equal parts intrigued as well as confused by it. And while I speak to God pretty regularly throughout my day, my prayer tends to be more like shooting the breeze. 

 

"Good morning, God.”

 

"Great work on that sunset, Lord.”

 

"Give me patience and wisdom during this phone call, Lord.”

 

All great conversations, sure, but they all seemto be led by… me. They are conversations about my circumstance or the circumstances ofthose around me. Isn't something missing? I mean, I’m speaking to my Holy God - shouldn't I feel more in AWE when doing so? 

If you have read my previous blogs, you know that when I see patterns and reoccurring themes in my life, I tend to recognize them as a way of the Spirit teaching me something. And I try to remind myself to lean into them. This week, the reoccurring theme has been prayer. So u can imagine I wasnt especially surprised when I saw my husband tweet that this morning's sermon would be looking into prayer through Psalm 5. 

 

"OK, Lord I get it - teach me more about prayer. I'm listening."


So no this blog entry isn't going to give you the answers I have found because its a journey I'm still - and maybe always will be - on. However, I do have some places I think I may start.   


I read an article this week that reminded me of the Lord's Prayer. I know, I know, I had to be REMINDED of the Lords prayer??

Sadly, yes. And In my pursuit to understand more about prayer I forgot to go back to the basics. What better place to start in my journey to have a more disciplined prayer life than the very words given to us by Jesus?

Our Father, which art in heaven,

Hallowed be thy Name.

Thy Kingdom come. 

Thy will be done on Earth, 

As it is in heaven.

Give us this day our daily bread.

And forgive us our trespasses,

As we forgive those who trespass against us. 

And lead us not into temptation, 

But deliver us from evil. 

For thine is the kingdom,

The power, and the glory,

For ever and ever.

Amen.


As I have read through the Lord's Prayer I am astonished by how outward focused it is. The words “me” and “I” are not found anywhere. The prayer instead uses “thy”, “we”, and “our”. 


Humbled. 

 

Let’s just say my practice has not always looked this way. 


My desire is to focus my prayers less on me and my circumstances and more on Him. Whatif I were to simply remove my agenda and my desires from the conversations I have with Him? I suspect I will be amazed at how my agenda and my desires will form naturally toHis agenda and His desires. 







 


No comments:

Post a Comment