Sunday, July 21, 2013

I now consider the phrase I don’t know a form of extreme respect for the truth. "my" two cents on Zimmerman.



You will very rarely hear or see me use this platform to take a political or mainstream Pop culture stand. However I have been inundated with thought an opinions through the media about The Zimmerman case. Each time I thought through it I thought. "Lord help us to know how to respond as your children." And then tried to keep my mouth shut because at the end of the day. I wasnt sure HOW or WHAT I felt. I just didnt know.
I was unsure how to process or even communicate how I was feeling about society, about race about gun control and about the media. Then I read an article and I felt like WOW he said it better than I ever COULD.
So in a rare blog for me Im going to take the words directly from an article I read on the topic.
Thank you Don Miller, there is a reason you have best sellers and I do not. (yet)
JUSTICE WILL ALWAYS BE SERVED, just not always this side of heaven.



I’ve become more and more comfortable with this phrase: I don’t know.
I no longer consider this phrase a cop out, either. In fact, I now consider the phrase I don’t know a form of extreme respect for the truth. What’s wrong with admitting we can’t know something we actually can’t know? And why in the world are so many people expressing absolutely certain ideas about what happened between Zimmerman and Martin when they can’t possibly know the truth anyway? 
The problem with the phrase I don’t know is it doesn’t sell. Why not just admit it rather than make confident claims we can’t possibly back up with reasoned arguments. Why not live within the ambiguity God has left us in?
Who is more weak in your opinion, a person who makes things up and sells a false narrative with confidence, or somebody who humbly admits we don’t have all the facts and yet we must go on trusting God all the same? Be careful with that question. Are we choosing false security over the truth, the truth being we can’t possibly know everything? I think many Christians today believe many things they simply can’t prove because those beliefs bring them a sense of control, security and comfort. What if God hasn’t given us all the information, and what if justice and order in the world doesn’t depend on us knowing everything anyway? What if truth lives outside of us whether we understand it or not? What if we are given just enough information to trust God and know Him but not fully understand Him or, for that matter, life itself? What if we are given some information but not all?
Should we still seek truth? Yes. Should we use what we know to seek justice? Yes. Should we make things up when we don’t have all the facts to give people a sense of comfort and security? No. Does this mean we have to live without resolution sometimes? Yes, unfortunately it does. What should we do about that?
I don’t know.
I suppose we do what we can and trust God with the rest. But in respect for truth, I’d offer we shouldn’t backfill gaps with fictional narratives, no matter how comfortable it may make us feel.
What happened between George Zimmerman and Trayvon Martin?  I don’t know.
Was justice done? It certainly doesn’t feel like it.
Will justice be done? Yes.
This much we know is true. Justice will be done. And not by us.

(storlineblog.com)

1 comment:

  1. That's why God is so comforting. St. Augustine spent 30 years of his life searching for Truth, and only after beilcominf a Christian did he find any satisfaction in his search. He is the only truth.

    ReplyDelete